The Kipping Handstand Push-Up, demonstrated here by CrossFit Seminar Staff member James Hobart is a movement best left to the competitive CrossFit athletes. While it does make it easier to complete a handstand pushup, the lack of control required for the Strict Handstand Pushup means there is a reasonably high risk of hitting your head on the ground and injuring your neck.
Approach with caution and work with your coaches to ensure you have the strength to always remain in control in this position before attempting the Kipping Handstand Push-Up.
Points Of Performance
- Hands just outside shoulder-width
- Start with arms extended
- Descend until head touches the ground
- Elbows move forward during the descent
- Hips and legs flex into a tucked position
- Hips and legs extend rapidly, then arms press
- Abdominals remain braced
- Complete at full arm extension with a straight line of the body